Past The Gaol

2013-02-08 FountainBoard+

This is the board in The Fountain, Londonderry visible in the distance in True Blue. The panels feature local spots from days-gone-by.

A piece of the old Gaol still stands, between Bishop Street and The Fountain.

Wapping Lane still exists. One can view census records for Clarence Place and Wapping Lane from 1901 at the National Archives.

It would seem that the mural being painted in the top panel was in Clarence Place? (Inferred from this first-person account of life in The Fountain from the Londonderry Sentinel. (Add a comment if you can confirm/refute this.)

Click image to enlarge
Copyright © 2013 Seosamh Mac Coılle
X00940 past the gaol and down behind the fountain wapping lane clarence place

Thousands Are Sailing

2013-02-13 PigsCrossingWide+

The Irish went to America, the pigs went to England. “Beware! Pigs Crossing. Bacon curing was one of the city’s oldest industries. People fattened pigs in their back yard. The women delivered them to the factories close to the quays in case their men spent the pig money on drink on the way home.”

Straight-on shot below …

2013-02-13 PigsCrossing+

Click image to enlarge
Copyright © 2013 Seosamh Mac Coılle
X00951 X00950

The Trooper

2013-02-13 TheTrooper+

One of loyalism’s most famous muraling icons – paradoxically of the peace-time era – is Eddie The Trooper. This one is in the Waterside’s Ebrington Terrace, Londonderry. For others in other locations, see Eddie’s Visual History page.

The first part of the words above the board come from the last paragraph of this WWI order: “There must be no retirement. With our backs to the wall and believing in the justice of our cause each one of us must fight on to the end”.

HaigBacksToTheWall

Source: http://www.firstworldwar.com/source/backstothewall.htm

The last sentence of Haig’s order is not included; instead we here have “We determine the guilty. We decide the punishment.” which appears to be the motto of a “fantasy tabletop war game” Warhammer 40,000.

The image is a 1997 (according to Peter Moloney) replica, with additions, of a 1983 Iron Maiden cover (WP). This character, “Eddie”, was featured in much of Iron Maiden’s artwork. The two images below show a close-up of Eddie, now sporting a UFF badge on his shoulder, and of the victim on the left, now wearing a distinctively gold coloured epaulette to go with his green uniform and white sash.

6508

The board was painted by a group called ‘Attitude Artwork’, made up of Dee Logan, Mark Logan, and Marty Edwards (CAIN). In an interview with the BBC, Marty Edwards said, “I work for Attitude Mural Artists. We’re based in the Waterside, Londonderry and we paint predominantly Protestant paintings. We would usually paint paramilitary paintings for UDA people, UVF people in their own estates. You know, sort of to mark their territory bounds like, you know, stuff like that. Usually we’re left to our own devices, to come up with something that’s really intimidating, will antagonise Catholics. But this project I’ve been involved with two groups from both sides of the community, four schools. … ” (BBC)

2013-03-08 TrooperCentre+

2013-03-08 TrooperLeft+

Click image to enlarge
Copyright © 2013 Seosamh Mac Coılle
X00952 X01003 X01004

Centre For Learning & Development

2013-02-11 FountainCentre+

On closer inspection, one can see images relating to WWI, the UDA, the William King Flute Band, and various arms of the military such as the Paras and B Specials adorning the Cathedral Youth & Community Centre/Centre For Learning & Development in The Fountain, London-/Derry/Doire. The close-up below shows a plaque in honour of David Warke, who founded the club in 1972 (Yellow Tom); the profile is perhaps also of Warke.

X05218 2013-02-02 William King FB+

Click image to enlarge
Copyright © 2013 Seosamh Mac Coılle
X00943 X05218

Outreach

2013-02-10 Abercorn+

A partly commercial, partly political, mural on the Abercorn Bar, Abercorn Road, London-/Derry/Doire. The figures with outstretched hands are a copy of Maurice Harron’s ‘Hands of Peace’ statue, which is at the roundabout roughly 250m away (where the bridge in the picture lands on the city-side of the Foyle river; the location of the pub is up the hill to the left). He has made a great deal of other interesting work too – check out the video of him at work on his web site.

Click image to enlarge
Copyright © 2013 Seosamh Mac Coılle
X00942 you are now entering free derry doire ice cold harp

The Relief Of Londonderry

2013-02-09 ReliefOfDerry+

“Derry” became “Londonderry” in 1613, but in 1689 at the time of the siege, as now, it was commonly referred to as “Derry”. The slogan of the defenders was “No Surrender” and the successful resistance to penetration gave rise to the epithet “The Maiden City” (WP).

Pictures of the unveiling of the plaque in 2009, which commemorates William Love, can be seen here.

Click image to enlarge
Copyright © 2013 Seosamh Mac Coılle
X00941 William Love 1908-1966 composer of flute band music was born near this spot; william attended cathedral school and worshipped in St. columb’s cathedral he played with the maiden city flute band churchill flute band and the hamilton flute band among his many compositions are senior service, stop in style, hale and hearty, cross and crown, and moore st. erected as a project of the maiden city festival aug. 2000