Who Fears A United Ireland?

03602-2016-07-02-fdc-connolly

The night before he was executed for his part in the Easter Rising, republican leader James Connolly (5.6.1888-12.5.1916) penned a brief statement calling the British presence in Ireland “a usurpation and a crime against human progress” and declaring “The British government has no right in Ireland, never had any right in Ireland, never can have any right in Ireland”. Here are two images of Free Derry corner with Connolly’s quote, including The Petrol Bomber by the Bogside Artists and and “SFRY” (Sinn Féin Republican Youth) banner on the railings.

03601-2016-07-02-who-fears-a-united-ireland

Click image to enlarge
Copyright © 2016 Seosamh Mac Coılle
X03602 X03601 lecky rd

Doıre Colum Cılle 700 AD

03592-2016-07-01-tigh-seoirse

The Christian missionary Colm Cılle (in Latin, Columba), born in Donegal, founded a monastic settlement on the banks of the Foyle (then still part of Donegal) around 540 AD. The “Doıre” part of the name means “oak grove” and perhaps refers (as the information panel suggests) to “a sacred grove of trees, which may have pre-dated the monastery.” The mural above shows a reconstruction of the Derry monastery c. 700 AD. The name “Londonderry” dates to 1662.

Columba moved on to Scotland circa 563 and founded an abbey on the island of Iona. Among his reputed miracles is the banishment of a great water beast from the River Ness in 565.

03593-2016-07-01-tigh-seoirse-scroll-1

03594-2016-07-01-tigh-seoirse-scroll-2

Click image to enlarge
Copyright © 2016 Seosamh Mac Coılle
X03592 X03593 X03594 U Bennett St
“This is a reconstruction of the early Christian monastery at Derry around 700 AD which was founded by St Colum Cille around 546 AD. Colum Cille left his community in Derry in 563 AD with twelve companions to found the great monastery of Iona. He only subsequently returned to Ireland once and died in 593 AD. Although St Colum Cille founded a number of Irish monasteries, it would appear that Derry was his principal residence until he left Ireland. The name itself, Doıre, (sometimes Doıre Colum Cılle) means ‘the oakgrove of Colum Cille’ a sacred grove of trees, which may have pre-dated the monastery.”

“Is athchuthú é seo ar an mhainistir luath-Chríostaí i nDoıre thart ar 700 AD a bhunaigh Naomh Cholm Cıille thart ar 546 AD. D’fhág Colm Cille a phobal ı nDoıre thart ar 563 AD le dáréag eıle le mómhaınıstır oıleán Í a chur ar bun. Níor fhill sé go hÉıreann ach uaır amháın agus fuaır sé bás in AD 593. Cé gur bhunaigh Naomh Cholm Cille roınnt maınıstreacha eıle ı nÉırınn, shocrıgh sé ı nDoıre de réır cosúlachta go dtí gut ımıgh sé. Déanann an t-aınm ‘Doıre Cholmcılle’ tagaırt do dhoıre naofa, a bhí ann roımh an mhaınıstir.”

Local Heroes

03596-2016-07-01-james-mclean

Five images from the Local Heroes at the Creggan shops: James McLean (footballer), Tony O’Doherty (footballer), David McAuley (Special Olympian who lit the flame to open the 2003 games in Dublin), Charlie Nash (boxer), and Aileen Reid (triathlete) (and, in a separate entry, swimmer Liam Ball). The murals were painted by Karl Porter and Donal O’Doherty from UV Arts.

03604-2016-07-03-local-hero-1

03605-2016-07-03-local-hero-2

03606-2016-07-03-local-hero-3

03607-2016-07-03-local-hero-4

Click image to enlarge
Copyright © 2016 Seosamh Mac Coılle
X03596 X03604 X03605 X03606 X03607 swimmer liam ball

Grant’s

03579 2016-06-30 Grant's 1+

We travel through time with these three images of Grant’s shop on Bishop Street, Derry. The first above, is labelled “circa 1972” and shows Henry Grant; the second shows children playing marbles in the street in front of Patrick Grant’s shop “circa 1918”, while the third, with a horse and cart, is dated to 1932.

03580 2016-06-30 Grant's 2+

03581 2016-06-30 Grant's 3+

03582 2016-06-30 Grant's w+

Click image to enlarge
Copyright © 2016 Seosamh Mac Coılle
X03579 X03580 X03581 X03582

c. 1918 possibly Annie Doherty on the right