The Celtic Football Club

Glasgow Celtic football club was founded in 1888 by Brother Walfrid who is partially obscured here by a leaf to the left of centre. Joining him in the apex are (from left to right) Charlie Tully (of Belfast and Glasgow Celtic), Willie Maley (the first manager), [Wilfrid], Billy McNeil lifting the European Cup in 1967, Jock Stein (player 1951-1957 and manager 1965-1978). On the field are former players Henrik Larsson (1997-2004) and Jimmy Johnstone (1962-1965) on either side of the team “doing the huddle”.

Friendly Street, Markets, south Belfast

Click image to enlarge
Copyright © 2010 Seosamh Mac Coılle
X05940

The People’s Champion

Alex “Hurricane” Higgins died on July 24th, and a new mural has been painted in his memory outside The Royal at the top of Sandy Row (shown above).

It joins a slightly older mural on Donegall Avenue, at the end of the street where Higgins grew up, Abingdon Street (which is now Abingdon Drive).

Both are near the clubs where he learned the game – the Jam Pot and the YMCA – before going on to twice become world snooker champion, in 1972 and 1982. He was a heavy smoker and suffered mouth and throat cancers. (WP)

Click image to enlarge
Copyright © 2010 Seosamh Mac Coılle
X05928 X05927 born 1949 simply the best a true legend

Ard Eoın Kickhams

The close-up shows three generations of toddler hurlers, from barefoot and cloth-cap to boots and braces to baseball cap and tracksuit. Kickhams is the local Cumann Luthchleas Gael (GAA club) (Fbtw), founded 1907, named for republican writer Charles Kickham. The mural shows football, hurling, and handball.

Click image to enlarge
Copyright © 2008 Seosamh Mac Coılle
X00246 X00245