Welcome To Our Homeland

Here are two Sons Of Kai tarps in “the C-double-O” (Rathcoole), celebrating fifty years of the flute band. For the controversy over the name (and date of formation) see The Famous.

In the background of one of the wide shots can be seen (the latest version of) the Marky Quail mural.

Click image to enlarge
Copyright © 2022 Seosamh Mac Coılle
X11675 X11676 X11673 X11674 X11664 X11665 [X11666] Derrycoole Way

Gaırdín Na hÉıreann

Plants provide symbols of, and metaphors for, rebellion. In America, 1775, Paine wrote of the Liberty Tree which Americans must rise to defend against “Kings, Commons and Lords” and Jefferson would later write (in a 1787 letter) that “The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.” In Ireland, the tree of liberty was borrowed for the 1798 rebellion (see Where Did The Seeds Fall?“) and although t more familiar symbol of the 1798 Rebellion is the pike, the shamrock is thought to be included as one of the objects in the Wearing Of The Green: Boucicault’s version begins “Oh, Paddy, dear, an’ did you hear the news that’s goin’ round?/The shamrock is forbid by law to grow on Irish ground.” The lily, of course, is a symbol of the 1916 Rising, though it is shown here growing between sunflowers and a rose.

These painted electrical boxes are in Westrock and Ballymurphy (“Fáılte chuıg Baıle Uí Mhurchú”).

Click image to enlarge
Copyright © 2022 Seosamh Mac Coılle
X11514 X11516 X11517 X11518 X11519 X11520 X11521 X11522 X11524 X11515

The Brave Men From The Fountain

This mural was previously on the side of the youth club (and before that was one of the WWI boards on the front wall that replaced some graffiti (News Letter)), but was removed when the club was extended and given a ‘Swiss façade‘ as part of an Urban Village redevelopment last year (2021) (BBC).

“At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them.” “This mural, funded by the Housing Executive, has been re-located by the Cathedral Youth Club. It is a reminder of the brave men associated with the Fountain area, who served in World War One.”

Click image to enlarge
Copyright © 2022 Seosamh Mac Coılle
X11534 X11535 [X11074] X11072 [X11073] [X11533] Wapping Lane

On Guard

The war memorial in Redburn Square, Holywood, was removed in 2017 while the square was redeveloped (Belfast Live). It returned that November (County Down Spectator Fb) with a new base and several additions have been made since then, including the bench above (with art deco styling), a NI Centenary stone (below), and reproduction photographs from the period covering the utility box (final image), including one of the statue many years previously – it was sculpted by Leonard Merrifield and unveiled January, 1922, with the dedication a few months later (History Hub Ulster video | Wartime NI). In addition to the names of 110 locals who perished in the Great War, there are 28 names from WWII (Ulster War Memorials) and one from the Korean War (Traces Of War).

Click image to enlarge
Copyright © 2022 Seosamh Mac Coılle
X11447 X11448 X11446 X11449

First Newtownards Somme & Historical Society

This is new, more extensive display from The First Newtownards Somme & Historical Society (Fb) (replacing The Pride Of Ulster). There are seven panels about the Ulster Volunteers and the 36th Division, plus an eighth panel on the Ulster Special Constabulary. The formation of the Ulster Volunteers (anti-Home Rule poster | anti-Home Rule postcard), formation of the 36th (Ulster) Division, the 13 battalions of the division, the Battle Of The Somme, JP Beadle’s Attack Of The Ulster Division (Royal Irish), the Ulster Tower, the USC (B Specials), the Victoria Cross.

Click image to enlarge
Copyright © 2022 Seosamh Mac Coılle
X11475 X11476 X11477 X11478 X11479 X11480 X11481 X11473 X11474 X11482 Shackleton Walk

Bowtown Remembers

Three-in-a-row at the Bowtown (Newtownards) newsagents: on the left, “Lest we forget” (final image); in the middle, the emblems of the UVF, 36th Division, and YCV against a backdrop of WWI soldiers; on the right-hand, Captain Tom Moore, who raised money for the NHS during lockdown. Above the shop itself can be seen “East Belfast UVF” while the flag is from the North Down UVF. The sticker on the phone box says Stop PSNI Harassment.

Click image to enlarge
Copyright © 2022 Seosamh Mac Coılle
X11285
X11284 [X11286]
[X11281] [X11283] [X11287] [X11288] X11289
X11290

For The Fallen

“They fought together as brothers in arms, they died together and now sleep side by side. To them we owe a solemn obligation. They died that we might live. The Great Wars 1914-1918, 1939-1945 – Admiral Chester W Nimitz”. The central image of this Newtownards homage to the men of the 36th (Ulster) Division and the Australian ‘Rats Of Tobruk’ who held that city against Rommel’s forces in north Africa during WWII is the Tyne-Cot cemetery near Passchendaele, Belgium, the biggest Commonwealth cemetery in the world but named ofter the “Tynside cottages” that the German pill-boxes in the area resembled (WP).

New for the NI centenary are three emblems on the side wall, with (on the left) the Red Hand Comrades Association and (on the right) the Strain-Lightbody Memorial flute band (Fb).

Click image to enlarge
Copyright © 2022 Seosamh Mac Coılle
X11311 X11308 X11309 X11312 [X11305] [X11306] X11307 X11313 X11310 tower ct newtownards

The Last Post

This post updates a 2018 post The Menin Gates with the addition of the side-wall shown above – which is still incomplete – and the two plaques shown in the middle image.

“The Menin Gate And Last Post Ceremony: Every night at 8.00pm (20:00 hours) a moving ceremony takes place under the Menin Gate in Ieper – Ypres. The Last Post Ceremony has become part of the daily life in Ieper (Ypres) and the local people are proud of this simple but moving tribute to the courage and self-sacrifice of those who fell in defence of their town. At 7.30pm the police arrive, and all traffic is stopped from driving through the Menin Gate until 8.30pm. For one hour the noise of traffic echoing around the Menin Gate from the cobbled road ceases. The crowd is hushed. A stillness descends over the memorial. Buglers of the local volunteer Fire Brigade arrive and stand ready at the eastern entrance of the Menin Gate Memorial. At 8.00pm The Last Post is sounded, and a moments [sic] silence is observed. “Réveille” [sic] signifies the end of the ceremony.” “Sponsored by East Bank Rangers Supporters Club

Click image to enlarge
Copyright © 2022 Seosamh Mac Coılle
X11048 X11049 X11047

We Are Victorious

The Campsie Club (of Londonderry) is the youngest of the eight parent clubs of the Apprentice Boys “founded 1950” and is the only one named after one of the apprentice boys who shut the gates against the forces of James II in 1688 – Henry Campsie (web).

This Irish Street board puts the “Bro. Scott Goligher Memorial, Londonderry, Loyal Orange Lodge No. 461” (history of the lodge at Grand City Lodge) and the Campsie Club on either side of the “Protestant Boys flute band” (Fb).

Click image to enlarge
Copyright © 2022 Seosamh Mac Coılle
X11027 X11028 X11029 X11030 strule gdns via veritas victoria