Here is a vintage mural still hanging on in St James’s in west Belfast. It was painted in 1995 (by Andrea Redmond?) and dates back to the peace process and the “Green Ribbon” campaign to secure the release of political prisoners: the dove carries the keys to set them free. The graffiti on the keys, however, reads “IRA” and “FTQ” (“Eff the Queen”), and in the upper wing, “UTP” (“Up the Provos”).
Henry VIII had himself declared head of the church in 1531 and the English monarch has retained this title since then (with the exception of Mary I who briefly restored the Pope and Catholicism). England has “no superior under God, but only your Grace” (Act Concerning Peter’s Pence). The current holder of both crown and office is Queen (“R” for “regina”) Elizabeth II. Shown in this entry is another celebration of the 500th anniversary of “Pro-Testant Reformation” in Tiger’s Bay, next to the workers of WWI mural.
October 31st, 1517 is the date given by Philip Melanchthon (there is disagreement – WP) for Martin Luther posting his 95 theses to the door of All Saints’ Church in Wittenberg, thus launching what would later be called the “protestant” reformation of the Catholic church. The word “protestant” comes from two Latin roots, meaning to publicly (pro-) assert or bear witness (testari).
Below the red hands on either side have been added “Genesis 38:28”, which reads “While she was giving birth, one put out a hand, and the midwife took and tied a scarlet thread on his hand, saying, “This one came out first.” But it came about as he drew back his hand, that behold, his brother came out.” The hand thrust forward to claim the birthright (and the reference to a scarlet thread) suggests the myth of the red hand of Ulster. However, it is the younger child (though the first to be completely born) that carries on the house of Judah.
Cast-iron post-boxes were made by W. T. Allen of London from 1886 onwards (Victoria died in 1901). This one, which is still in use by An Post, is at Collins Barracks in Dublin. The Royal Barracks (as they were then called) were built in 1702 and handed over to the Free State in 1922 and renamed; they are now a museum (WP).
A plaque has been added to the Cupar Way “peace” line memorial to UVF man William “Plum” Smith. “Moved on 8th June 2016 – sadly missed by his family.” For more information on his life, see the previous version.
A Christian cross was added (in early 2015?) to the dove and oak leaf on Rossville Street, Derry. For a 2013 image of the previous version, see Network.
Young people from the Shankill, Divis, and Newington came together as “Ambassadors For Peace” (Fb) with students from Susquehanna University in the US to paint the two outer sides of the gates in the Northumberland Street “peace” line. Shown today is the Shankill side. (Images of the work in progress can be found on Belfast Live.)
Orange emblems added to the Welcome To Loyalist Tigers Bay mural: the crown and bible, a heart and sword, a red fist and the union flag. Two Bible verses are referenced: “And thine house and thy kingdom shall be established for ever before thee: thy throne shall be established for ever.” (2 Sam 7:16) and “You will conceive and give birth to a son, and you are to call him Jesus. He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God.” (Luke 1:31-33)
A reductive front page describing the contents of the British tabloid The Daily Mail: “Fiction, xenophobia, straight bananas, and women’s health.” Artist unknown. (Please get in touch!)
Sir Edward Carson, 1854-1935, was born and raised in Dublin, and practiced law there for many years, but he is most famously associated with the Unionist campaign against Home Rule and the creation of “a Protestant province of Ulster” and eventually the six-county state of Northern Ireland.
This new piece is by Dee Craig in Ballyclare’s Grange Drive.